The Church’s Global Education Initiative helps people throughout the world access educational opportunities where they live—through online courses, classes from local educational providers, and local gatherings for religious education and academic support.
Many of the offerings are already available. Some are under development and are being piloted on a limited basis.
- Religious education. Seminary for youth and institute for young adults offer classes and programs around the world.
- Secondary education instruction and support. Brigham Young University (BYU) offers Independent Study courses for middle school and high school students.
- English language instruction. EnglishConnect is a suite of English-language learning courses designed to support spiritual and temporal self-reliance. It currently includes courses for new learners and intermediate-level courses are under development. In addition, Brigham Young University–Hawaii has several free or low-cost English language learning distance learning courses and BYU Independent Study offers a free English as a second language course for Chinese speakers and a Basic English for Spanish Speakers course.
- BYU Pathway Worldwide. BYU Pathway Worldwide is a low-cost, 3-semester educational program for students who would like to pursue higher education or improve their employment opportunities, but require additional academic or vocational education. Pathway is a gateway to a college degree. You can also access online certificates and degree programs through BYU-Idaho.
- Academic skills-based certificates. Skills-based certificates that can lead to associate’s and bachelor’s degrees are available from Brigham Young University-Idaho (BYU-Idaho) and LDS Business College (LDSBC).
- Undergraduate degrees. All of the Church’s higher education institutions offer on-campus undergraduate degree programs. LDS Business College primarily offers associate’s degrees. BYU, BYU–Hawaii, and BYU–Idaho offer associate’s and bachelor’s degrees. BYU–Idaho also offers a number of online associate’s and bachelor’s degrees. BYU offers a Bachelor’s of General Studies program for former students who left BYU without graduating and want to finish a bachelor’s degree online.
- Graduate degrees. BYU offers a number of on-campus master’s and doctoral degrees. BYU may offer online master’s degrees in selected fields in the future.
The Gospel Topic on Education explains spiritual purpose for education and provides links to resources to learn more.