Many social media sites let you categorize your posts by using hashtags. Hashtags consist of a pound sign (#) followed by a key word(s). These subject tags can be searched on sites such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Pinterest, Flickr, and Tumblr to find information about a given topic. For example, #ChurchofJesusChrist and #LatterDaySaints are common hashtags that people add to posts about the Church and #GeneralConference is a common hashtag for general conference.
Below is a list of popular hashtags used to connect and share gospel-related content.
- #inspiredby (to share what you find inspiring)
- #next6months (to share how you want your life to change over the next 6 months)
- #last6months (to share how your life has changed since last conference)
- #PresNelson, #PresOaks, PresEyring (First Presidency)
- #PresBallard (President of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles)
- #ElderHolland, #ElderClayton, etc. (members of the Quorum of the Twelve and the Seventy)
- #BishopCausse (Presiding Bishopric)
- #SisterBingham, #BrotherPace (General Officers)
- #StriveToBe (slogan for the Children and Youth effort)
- #YAface2face (Young Adult Face to Face events)
- #face2face (Face to Face events)
- #TabChoir (Tabernacle Choir at Temple Square)
- #ChristmasDevo (Christmas devotionals)
- #ReliefSociety, #Primary, #SundaySchool
- #HastenTheWork (Hastening the Work of Salvation)
- #BibleVideos (The Life of Jesus Christ Bible Videos)
- #BookofMormon (Book of Mormon)
- #GospelLibrary (Gospel Library mobile app)
- #BecauseOfHim and #BecauseHeLives (for Easter)
- #ItWasMom (for Mothers Day)
You can include more than one hashtag in a post, but don’t get carried away. For example, including both #GeneralConference and #Christian would be appropriate when tweeting a quote from conference that referred to Jesus Christ. Using the hashtag #Christian may help it be seen by more than just the Latter-day Saint community.
- Learn more about using hashtags on Twitter and Facebook.
- See the hashtag recommendations on the Church’s Newsroom.
- More information about Church social media pages.
Feel free to download the image below and share it with your friends on social media.
And remember the words of President Dieter F. Uchtdorf from the April 2011 General Conference:
With so many social media resources and a multitude of more or less useful gadgets at our disposal, sharing the good news of the gospel is easier and the effects more far-reaching than ever before. In fact, I am almost afraid that some listening have already sent text messages like “He’s been speaking for 10 minutes and still no aviation analogy!” My dear young friends, perhaps the Lord’s encouragement to “open [your] mouths” might today include “use your hands” to blog and text message the gospel to all the world! But please remember, all at the right time and at the right place.