Volume 1 of the book Saints: The Story of the Church of Jesus Christ in the Latter Days was released today. It is the inspiring story of the women and men who dedicated their lives to establishing the Church across the world.
Unlike past histories, which were primarily written as reference works, Saints is written as a narrative that is engaging to read. The rich stories come alive and tell of the commitment, devotion, and love of God that is so evident in the lives of early Latter-day Saints.
The first volume in the series, titled “The Standard of Truth,” covers the period from Joseph Smith’s youth through the dedication of the Nauvoo Temple (1815–1846). The plan is to publish four volumes at the rate of one per year from 2018 to 2021.
- The first volume covers the history of the Church up to the dedication of the Nauvoo Temple.
- The second covers the western exodus of the Latter-day Saints and concludes with the Salt Lake Temple dedication.
- The third covers the first half of the 20th century and concludes with the dedication of the Swiss Temple.
- The fourth volume brings us to today and covers some of the temples around the world.
To supplement the book, saints.ChurchofJesusChrist.org has short articles and videos that provide additional contextual information about many Church history subjects.
Back in January, we mentioned that a chapter from Saints would be published each month in the Ensign and Liahona magazines. Chapters have also been released each month in the Gospel Library app in 47 languages and as an audio book in English, Spanish, and Portuguese.
How to Get the Book
Digital access: The book is available digitally at saints.ChurchofJesusChrist.org, the Gospel Library app, Gospel Library online, Barnes & Noble, Amazon Kindle, Google Books, audio downloads, e-books (PDF, ePub, Kindle/mobi), iTunes, Kobo,
In print: The paperback book is available at store.ChurchofJesusChrist.org and at Deseret Book.
Languages: in 14 languages (Cebuano, Chinese, English, German, French, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Samoan, Spanish, Tagalog, and Tongan).
Watch the video “A New History for the Church:”
- New Church book ‘The Standard of Truth’ covers controversial topics
- First Volume of ‘Saints’ Now Available
- Church Historian Announces New 4-Volume History of the Church
- Saints, New 4-Volume History of the Church, Debuts in Magazine Installments