The First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve Apostles have approved several updates to the Church’s handbook for missionaries to address commonly asked questions from missionaries and mission leaders and clarify existing standards.
Examples of updates:
- Clarification on several points to help missionaries use time more wisely. For example, missionaries should communicate with friends only by email or letter—not phone or video chat—and only on preparation day. (chapter 3)
- References to the General Handbook entry on prejudice. (chapter 3)
- Clarifies that missionary companionships should always have an adult of their own gender present when meeting with a single person of the opposite gender. Also, physical contact with the opposite gender and children should be limited to a handshake. (chapter 3)
- New artwork for each chapter
- Time added in the daily schedule for missionaries to study English, if needed (chapter 2)
- Guidelines related to appropriate types of music (chapter 3)
- Modified wording in the personal finance section to clarify the use of missionary support funds (chapter 4)
- Alignment of the dress and appearance section with recently approved and published guidelines (chapter 4)
- Clarification that one missionary is designated as the senior companion in all companionships, such as sister training leaders and zone leaders (chapter 7)
- Explanation that Wi-Fi may be used when readily available and approved by mission leaders (chapter 7)
Read the updated version of Missionary Standards for Disciples of Jesus Christ.