The For the Strength of Youth guide helps us understand that our bodies are an amazing gift from our Heavenly Father. He gave them to us to help us become more like Him. Having a body gives us increased power to exercise our freedom to choose. The restored gospel of Jesus Christ can help us see our bodies from God’s perspective. And that makes a big difference in our choices about what to do with our bodies and how to care for them.
The section “Your Body is Sacred” explains that our body is in the image of God, that our soul is made up of our body and our spirit, and that sexual feelings are an important part of God’s plan. The law of chastity states that God approves of sexual activity only between a man and a woman who are married. Many in the world ignore or even mock God’s law, but the Lord invites us to be His disciples and live a standard higher than the world’s.
The section also answers questions such as the following:
- I am attracted to people of my same sex. How do these standards apply to me? Feeling same-sex attraction is not a sin. If you have these feelings and do not pursue or act on them, you are living Heavenly Father’s sacred law of chastity. You are a beloved child of God and a disciple of Jesus Christ. Remember that the Savior understands everything you experience. Through your covenant connection with Him, you will find strength to obey God’s commandments and receive the blessings He promises. Trust Him and His gospel.
- I was abused, and I feel ashamed. Am I guilty of sin? Being a victim of any abuse or assault does not make you guilty of sin. Please do not feel guilt or shame. The Savior loves you. He wants to help you, heal you, and give you peace. Professional counselors, your family members, and your leaders can also help.
You can download your own copy of the For the Strength of Youth guide in PDF format or read it online.
- “Abuse” in the Life Help section of the Gospel Library
- “Same-Sex Attraction” in the Life Help section of the Gospel Library
- “Mental and Emotional Health” in the Life Help section of the Gospel Library