Holding virtual Church meetings can introduce some unique challenges for those with disabilities. Here are some tips on helping everyone feel included, no matter the circumstance:
- Personally invite them to participate.
- Explore accessible formats with them. For example, many online meeting formats offer a feature to turn on closed captions while meeting.
- See what else could be done to meet individual needs in your area.
- Be sure to give them opportunities to respond in class discussions.
- Make sure that those who are deaf or hard of hearing can see the teacher and class members.
- Follow up to make sure they had a good experience and see if any changes need to be made.
Want more ideas for making church a good experience for members with disabilities? See the resources at disabilities.ChurchofJesusChrist.org.