As we begin to study the Doctrine and Covenants and Church history in our Come, Follow Me study this year, it would be great if we could visit Church history sites to better understand the events that took place.
However, it’s impractical for most of us to travel to these sites, and with the COVID-19 restrictions, the Church history sites are closed, anyway. However, many sites now offer virtual tours with missionaries on Zoom right from your own home. This is a great option for families, youth groups, Relief Society activities, or even institute and seminary classes.
Below is a list of sites that offer virtual tours:
- Joseph Smith Birthplace, Sharon, VT
- New York & Pennsylvania Sites (Sacred Grove, Priesthood Restoration, Book of Mormon Publication Site)
- Kirtland Area Historic Sites (including the Historic Johnson Farm)
- Nauvoo Historic Sites (including Nauvoo Temple City, homes of the Apostles, frontier life, women of Nauvoo, pioneer trades, and Carthage Jail)
- Independence Visitors Center (Tours via Zoom Tuesday–Sunday at noon, 1 PM, 2 PM, 3 PM, and 4 PM CST. Zoom link, meeting ID 228 577 5767, passcode: zion.)
- Liberty Jail (Tours via Zoom Tuesday–Sunday at noon, 1 PM, 2 PM, 3 PM, and 4 PM CST. Zoom link, meeting ID 627 702 6800, passcode 831831.)
- Mormon Trail Center at Winter Quarters
- Handcart Sites. No virtual tours at this time.
- Cove Fort. No virtual tours at this time.
- St. George Historic Sites, including the tabernacle.
- Mormon Battalion Center at San Diego
Learn more about these tours in the article “Take a Tour of the Church History Sites from Your Home.”
This is a great idea to be able to see these historic sites without visiting them in person.
I would like to tour on November 8th 2021
I would like to have our seminary class be able to participate in the Independence Visitor Center virtual tour but our class time does not line-up with the scheduled tour times. Is it possible to schedule a tour at a different time than is listed?
Our Monday Evening group absolutely loves the blessing of being able to see this sites that we have heard of but never had the opportunity to visit. We live in South Africa and so for many of us this experience has helped to grow our testimonies thank you increase our knowledge and faith in the Gospel. It has been a huge blessing! And our group keeps on growing in numbers. Thank you so much to all the missionaries who sacrifice their time to take us on this amazing journey.