The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has announced plans for the 2020 #LightTheWorld initiative.
Beginning November 15, LightTheWorld.org will provide service ideas, such as the following:
- Volunteer opportunities through JustServe.org
- The ability to donate directly to organizations that partner with Latter-day Saint Charities
- A daily calendar of 25 simple ways to serve others
- Daily texts or emails leading up to Christmas that you can opt in to receive
In social media posts you make about your service, please use the hashtag #LightTheWorld.
Note that until November 15, the content you see at LightTheWorld.org is from last year.
The Church will also provide the following videos at LightTheWorld.org:
- Re-release of “The Christ Child,” an 18-minute video that beautifully retells the nativity story.
- “The Christ Child: Behind the Scenes,” a video that provides scriptural and historical context that went into the original video.
In-person events, like the giving machines, are suspended for 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. (These are the large red vending machines that have been in use since 2017 to help people donate to various charities. Last year, the machines raised $6.2 million to bring food, supplies, clean water, sanitation and personal development workshops to people in need.)
December 20th “Come and See” Sundays are left up to bishops to determine what to do, based on local circumstances. In some cases, it may be appropriate for members to invite their friends to attend Sunday services or wards could hold a virtual service.
For more information, read the article “A Look at How the Church of Jesus Christ Will #LightTheWorld This Christmas.”