From the article “Genealogy Made Easy: 16 Ideas under 20 Minutes“:
Want to do genealogy but don’t have a lot of time? No problem! Genealogy is made easy with these quick activities. Learn more about yourself and your family history in just a few minutes.
- Discover the meaning of your last name, including how many people have the same last name and where the last name comes from.
- Which ancestor do you look most like? Compare faces and find out!
- Note: You will want to add photos of your ancestors in FamilySearch Memories for the best results.
- Put yourself in the shoes of your ancestors, and use FamilySearch’s Picture My Heritage tool.
- See if you are related to your friends! Download the FamilySearch app to try Relatives around Me.
- Upload a family photo, and record your memory about it.
- Learn fun facts about yourself, such as the meaning of your first name, how many people were on earth when you were born, and top news stories from the year you were born.
- Visit your ancestors’ gravestones virtually.
- Want to know where you came from? Use the fan chart feature on FamilySearch Family Tree to view the birth countries of your ancestors.
- Discover more about your heritage with FamilySearch’s country pages.
- Take time to record some of your own personal history.
- Try FamilySearch Record Hints, a quick tool that can help you add more information to your family tree.
- Connect with your ancestors by reading their stories.
- Play a family trivia game, and see how well you know your parents and siblings.
- As a family, talk about some of your favorite traditions. Be sure to record these traditions in your memories app.
- Enter information about your parents, grandparents, and great-grandparents into your family tree.
- Want to know more about your ancestors? It’s easier than you think! Learn how to search records on FamilySearch.org, and try finding your ancestors in its vast collection.