Did you know you can request from the Church a listing of your priesthood line of authority?


Tracing Priesthood Line of Authority

The First Presidency has authorized the gathering of information for priesthood lines of authority for the following:

  • Melchizedek Priesthood conferral (usually ordination to the office of elder)
  • Ordination to the office of high priest

When you ordain others to offices in the Melchizedek Priesthood, their priesthood line of authority is determined by the priesthood office you hold at the time you perform the ordination. For example, if you are an elder when you ordain your son an elder, he would trace his line of authority through your elder ordination line of authority. However, if you are a high priest when you ordain your son an elder, he would trace his line of authority through your high priest ordination line of authority.

(Note: Though a priesthood holder with the office of seventy may be included in a member’s personal line of authority, no separate line of authority is maintained for the office of seventy. Ordained bishops and patriarchs trace their priesthood line of authority through their high priest ordination. Priesthood line of authority is not recorded for Aaronic Priesthood offices.)

Requesting Your Priesthood Line of Authority

If you wish to request your priesthood line of authority, do the following:

  1. Send an email to LineofAuthority@ChurchofJesusChrist.org to get the request form
    1. To get the form in English, type the letters PLA in the subject line.
    2. To get the form in Spanish, type the letters PLA SP in the subject line.
    3. To get the form in Portuguese, type the letters PLA PT in the subject line.

Instructions for completing the request form and receiving the priesthood line of authority will be included in the return email.

If you have questions, you can call telephone: 1-800-453-3860, extension 2-3500 or send a fax to 1-801-240-6816 or send an e-mail to LineofAuthority@ChurchofJesusChrist.org.

Please don’t post your information in the comments below. You need to mail it to the address above or use the e-mail or phone number provided.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This