Today, the First Presidency announced changes in the timeline of when children and youth complete Primary, move from one class or quorum to the next, and attend the temple for the first time—and for when young men may be ordained to priesthood offices. These changes are effective in January 2019.
- Children and youth will progress through classes as age-groups, not on their birthdays.
- Worthy youth will be eligible to obtain a limited-use temple recommend beginning in January of the year they turn 12.
- Young men will be eligible to be ordained to a priesthood office in January of the year they turn 12, 14, and 16.
- Letter from the First Presidency and Frequently Asked Questions (printable PDF or web page)
- Facebook post by President Russell M. Nelson
- More information in the article “Age Changes for Youth Progression and Ordination Announced“