The LDS-themed movie Once I Was a Beehive opens in theaters in Utah today and nationwide in September. This is a movie about girls camp, based on thousands of true stories. It was created by the producers of The Saratov Approach.
I screened it last night, and found it to be entertaining and inspiring. Yes, it’s a little cheesy in parts, but it is well made. It is good, clean fun suitable for the whole family. It has lots of heart and is well worth seeing in a theater. Don’t wait for it to come out on DVD.
Maclain Nelson both acted in and produced the movie The Saratov Approach. About two years ago, shortly after the release of The Saratov Approach, Maclain and some close friends developed an idea for a new movie. They decided that the thousands of true (and untold) stories about the magic of girls camp should make their way to the silver screen and be shared with the world.
Why Support this Movie
This little movie is up against Hollywood blockbusters. They don’t have millions of dollars for an advertising campaign, but what they do have is great Latter-day Saints who have a passion for promoting uplifting entertainment. A strong turnout during the opening week in theaters will ensure that people get to see this movie nationwide. Go see it in a theater for the full experience and to support quality LDS film making.
Opening weekend for Utah is August 14-17. See a full list of Utah theaters.
It opens nationally in September. If you don’t see your city on the list, use the “Demand It” function to request it in a theater in your city.
Here is a preview of the movie:
10 Easy Things You Can Do to Help Spread the Word
- Like the Once I Was a Beehive Facebook page.
- RSVP to the opening week Facebook event.
- Invite your friends and family to the opening week Facebook event.
- Share one of their Facebook photos, videos, or posts (using the hashtag #OnceIWasABeehive).
- Download their Facebook cover image and upload it to your Facebook profile this week.
- Forward this email to friends you think would be interested.
- Tweet about @OnceIWasaBhive.
- Instagram: Download the 15-second mini trailer and post it to Instagram. (Tag it @OnceIWasaBhive and #OnceIWasABeehive.)
- Get tickets to see the movie August 14-17. Click here to find a theater playing the movie.
- Invite your friends to see the movie with you. Many young women’s groups and men’s groups are going together. Call 801-304-4551 for group ticketing.
If you like the theme song “Together,” you can download the MP3 and sheet music here for free.
Here’s an additional sneak peek of the movie: