The opening weekend of the film Meet the Mormons was astonishing.
- The film was #10 in the nation in box office receipts.
- It was #1 in 100 of the 317 theaters on opening day
- It had the top per-screen average of the Top 20 grossing films in the country this week.
- It had sold-out showings across the country, including New York City, Detroit, Miami, Salt Lake City, Las Vegas, Dallas, Phoenix, Anchorage, Honolulu, and various locations in California.
- It has already earned the #45 spot on the list of the Top 100 documentary films of all time.
- It earned $2.5 million during the opening weekend, and to date has earned $3.9 million. (The net proceeds are being donated to the American Red Cross.)
- Today, the film expands to 333 screens, with more expected for next weekend.
Read the article “How ‘Meet the Mormons’ Became a Hit Movie In One Weekend” from LDS Living to see how members engaged in social media to spread information about the movie that contributed to its successful opening weekend.
If you haven’t yet seen the movie, I heartily endorse it. Find a theater near you at MeetTheMormons.com.
Update (October 24, 2014): The film has made $4.9 million, making it the 36th biggest documentary of all time. Net proceeds donated to charity.