This article is one in a series of articles about explaining our Mormon beliefs to our friends. See other articles in this series.
Some members of the Church are not prepared to answer questions when asked about the Church’s position regarding same-sex marriage and in general about same-sex attraction (also called same-gender attraction, homosexuality, gay, or LGBT).
These are very important topics in the Church today, yet I’m amazed that most members don’t understand the issues and have a shallow understanding of the doctrines behind the issues. If you think that homosexuality is about sex, you don’t understand it. It’s all about emotions and relationships.
Below are some resources with information to help you understand this complex issue:
- See the Church’s website “Same-Sex Attraction.” It features a number of powerful videos from people who share real experiences from their own perspectives on this sensitive and sometimes emotionally-charged topic.
- Read the Gospel Topic “Same-Sex Attraction” on the Church’s website in the Life Help section. You may also want to read the topics “Same-Sex Marriage” and “Marriage.”
- Read the article “Same-Sex Attraction” from the Church’s Newsroom. Notice several additional links on the right side of that page.
- Visit the website or talk with someone at North Star (NorthStarLDS.org), a nonprofit organization that provides support to Latter-day Saints who experience same-sex attraction and want to live in harmony with the teachings of Jesus Christ and the doctrines and values of the Church. It is also a resource to family and friends, professional counselors, and religious leaders. Read about the Voices of Hope Project to film video testimonies and create an expansive collection of written essays to document the voices of thousands of Latter-day Saints who are faithfully dealing with same-sex attraction.
- Watch the video “For Gay Mormons” below from the YouTube channel “Understanding Mormonism.”
I hope you find these resources helpful.
What other ideas do you have that you can share with others? Post them in the comments below.