This weekend Mormons and friends from around the world used the Internet to watch LDS General Conference and to connect with each other. Just how connected are they?
Although they may not be the most connected people on the web, they have clearly embraced it as a method of communication ideal for a worldwide church. Here are a few key ideas from the Deseret News article “Are Mormons the most connected?”
- Thousands watch streams of conference sessions on conference.lds.org, MormonChannel.org, KSL.com, BYUtv.org, Facebook.com/LDS, and Roku TV.
- People enhanced their General Conference experience with second screens using mobile apps, websites, and social media such as Twitter, YouTube, and Facebook.
- 128,000 tweets appeared on Twitter with the hashtag #LDSConf, which was displayed periodically on-screen during the conference broadcasts and online streams.
- Hundreds of thousands read conference-related stories on DeseretNews.com and other websites.
- Quotes and expressions of faith were shared on Twitter, Facebook, Google+, and other social media channels.
- People changed their Facebook and Google+ cover images and profile pictures to reflect an image from conference.
- People created and shared hundreds of conference memes (graphic images with quotes from conference).