Many social media sites let you categorize your posts by using hashtags. Hashtags consist of a pound sign (#) followed by a key word(s). These subject tags can be searched on sites such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Pinterest, Flickr, and Tumblr to find information about a given topic.
Here are suggested hashtags you can use when posting comments about conference:
- #HearHim, #Restoration, #FirstVision (hashtags specific to this conference)
- #inspiredby (to share what you find inspiring)
- #next6months (to share how you want your life to change over the next 6 months)
- #last6months (to share how your life has changed since last conference)
- #TabChoir (when referencing the Tabernacle Choir at Temple Square)
Use this format when mentioning the names of Church leaders:
- #PresNelson, #PresOaks, #PresEyring (First Presidency)
- #PresBallard (President of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles)
- #ElderHolland, #ElderClayton, etc. (members of the Quorum of the Twelve and the Seventy)
- #BishopCausse (Presiding Bishopric)
- #SisterBingham, #BrotherPace (General Officers)
See a more complete list of suggested LDS hashtags you can use when discussing the Church on social media.
The book 101 Ways to Hasten the Work Online also has ideas about using hashtags.
And remember the words of President Dieter F. Uchtdorf from the April 2011 General Conference:
With so many social media resources and a multitude of more or less useful gadgets at our disposal, sharing the good news of the gospel is easier and the effects more far-reaching than ever before. In fact, I am almost afraid that some listening have already sent text messages like “He’s been speaking for 10 minutes and still no aviation analogy!” My dear young friends, perhaps the Lord’s encouragement to “open [your] mouths” might today include “use your hands” to blog and text message the gospel to all the world! But please remember, all at the right time and at the right place.
The Church provides a number of direct URLs (also called “vanity URLs”) that you can use to quickly access general conference online.
- conference.ChurchofJesusChrist.org or gc.ChurchofJesusChrist.org take you directly to the main general conference site (ChurchofJesusChrist.org/general-conference)
- conferenciageneral.ChurchofJesusChrist.org takes you to the general conference page in Spanish (ChurchofJesusChrist.org/general-conference?lang=spa)
- conferênciageral.ChurchofJesusChrist.org takes you to the general conference page in Portuguese (ChurchofJesusChrist.org/general-conference?lang=por)
- gcmusic.ChurchofJesusChrist.org takes you to the conference music playlist (ChurchofJesusChrist.org/general-conference/music)
Conference Children’s Activities
- conferencegames.ChurchofJesusChrist.org takes you to general conference activities for children (ChurchofJesusChrist.org/general-conference/activities-for-children)
- How to Prepare for General Conference
- Invite Your Friends to Watch General Conference
- 8 Ways to Access General Conference
- Direct URLs to Access General Conference
Take this poll and see how you stack up against other LDS365 readers: