The Family History Library in Salt Lake City reopened July 6, 2021. The hours are Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. and will expand as COVID-19 conditions improve.
As guests come back, they will find that many improvements have taken place while the library was closed.
- Research materials have been reorganized to improve space and help visitors find what they are looking for more easily.
- More bookshelves were installed.
- More flat table space is available with charging stations.
- Computer workstations have been upgraded (adjustable heights, multiple monitors).
- Microfilm readers and scanners now function with the computers to make digital image copies.
Read more about all these improvements in the article “The Family History Library Is Opening Soon—Unveiling the 2021 Remodel.”
For those who cannot visit the Family History Library or who live too far away from Salt Lake City, Utah, the library’s remote services can be helpful. Free, 20-minute virtual genealogy consultations with staff experts will continue to be available online. A Library lookup service is also available for accessing library materials remotely.
Local FamilySearch family history centers and libraries will open based on the direction of local Church leaders.