In the worldwide devotional for young adults on January 8, President Russell M. Nelson issued a challenge to increase discipleship by devoting time each week to study everything Jesus said and did as recorded in the following books of scripture:
- The Old Testament, because Jesus is the Jehovah of the Old Testament.
- The New Testament, because Jesus is its Christ.
- The Book of Mormon, for there is no book of scripture in which His mission and His ministry are more clearly revealed.
- The Doctrine and Covenants, for He continues to teach His people in this dispensation.
You may find the following study aids helpful in completing this assignment:
- Topical Guide, “Jesus Christ.” In addition to the text under that major heading, there are 57 subtitles about Him. You can use the Topical Guide in print, online, and in the Gospel Library mobile app.
- For non-English languages, use the Guide to the Scriptures.
- Harmony of the Gospels. Tables that compare the teachings of the Savior as found in Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, and in latter-day revelation.
If you use the digital versions of these study aids, you can highlight, tag, and make personal notes as you study and everything is backed up and synced across all your devices. Learn more about using these study helps.
President Nelson admitted that this may seem like a large assignment. But he said, “If you proceed to learn all you can about Jesus Christ, I promise you that your love for Him and for God’s laws will grow beyond what you currently imagine. I promise you also that your ability to turn away from sin will increase. Your desire to keep the commandments will soar. You will find yourself better able to walk away from the entertainment and entanglements of those who mock the followers of Jesus Christ. I can recommend this assignment to you because I recently completed it myself and I know it has blessed my life.”
President Nelson said he would follow up with us at a later point to learn how our study is going and hear how it is changing our lives.
- President Nelson posted his challenge on his Facebook page Sunday night.
- Read a summary of the talk.
- Watch or read President Nelson’s talk on LDS.org or in the Gospel Library app.
- Watch or read Sister Nelson’s remarks on LDS.org or in the Gospel Library app
- Read President Nelson’s blog post about his experiences